Running a successful commercial business often means dealing with large amounts of debris, trash, and other waste. A commercial dumpster rental is an efficient, cost-effective way to handle the constant stream of garbage generated by your company’s operations.
Unlike residential dumpster rentals – which are typically just for occasional clean-ups or other small projects – commercial dumpster rental provides an ongoing waste management system for businesses. You can use roll-off dumpsters to dispose of routine waste and heavier debris from renovations, equipment upgrades, and other industrial processes.
Figuring out how – and what size – bin you need can feel overwhelming if you’ve never rented a dumpster before. This big guide to commercial dumpster rental answers questions such as:
- What size commercial dumpster rental do you need?
- How do you choose a dumpster rental company?
- What does a commercial dumpster rental cost?
- When should you schedule a dumpster rental?
- What can go in a commercial dumpster rental?
- Do you need a permit to rent a dumpster?
What size commercial dumpster rental do you need?
Figuring out what size dumpster you need is the first step in the process. Consider how much debris or other waste you must dispose of and choose a dumpster that matches the volume.
KEI offers four container sizes suitable for most commercial jobs.
- 10-yard containers are 12 feet long, 4 feet high, and 8 feet wide. They can hold up to 2 tons of material.
- 15-yard containers are 14 feet long, 4 feet high, and 8 feet wide. They hold up to 2.5 tons of material.
- 20-yard containers are 16 feet long, 4 feet high, and 8 feet wide. They hold up to 3 tons of material.
- 25-yard containers are 16 feet long, 6.16 feet high, and 8 feet wide. They hold up to 3.5 tons of material.
As a rule, it’s better to get a slightly larger dumpster than you think you’ll need rather than one that’s too small. Underestimating the size can leave you in a pickle, and you might end up spending more to get a second dumpster to accommodate the leftovers.
How do you choose a dumpster rental company?
Most dumpster rental companies offer similar-sized containers for roughly the same prices. What differentiates them is their customer service.
Look for an established local commercial dumpster rental company with excellent customer service. You can check customer reviews on Google and other review sites and visit the Better Business Bureau to see how previous customers have rated their experience (and whether there are any ongoing disputes).
Important characteristics that define customer service excellence include:
- Affordable pricing. Reputable companies that prioritize the customer experience are upfront about their pricing. Be sure to ask if the quoted price includes everything before you sign a rental contract.
- Flexible terms. Choose a commercial dumpster rental company that offers customized rental terms that suit your individual needs.
- Reliability. Find a roll-off dumpster rental service with a proven track record of prompt dumpster deliveries and pickups.
What does a commercial dumpster cost?
Several factors go into determining the cost of a dumpster rental. Dumpster size, rental duration, and fuel surcharges are among the things dumpster rental companies consider when preparing an estimate.
Typically, the larger the dumpster, the higher the rental fee. National averages for roll-off dumpster rentals are between $325 and $375 for 10-yard containers and $375 to $425 for 20-yard containers.
Other components that go into determining rental costs include:
- Delivery and pickup fees that pay for the labor and transportation costs of placing and later hauling away the dumpster.
- Disposal and landfill fees are estimated by the ton and can vary by region.
- Overweight fees become an issue if you overfill your dumpster and exceed the weight limit, which means the landfill will charge a higher rate for disposal.
Ask if your quote includes all fees before signing the contract.
When should you schedule a dumpster rental?
Most commercial dumpster rental services can accommodate you within 2 to 3 days of your requested delivery date. Demand is always highest on the weekends, so make sure you book by mid-week if you need a weekend rental.
The typical rental period is 7 days. If you’re done sooner and want the dumpster off your property, give the rental company a call and let them know you’re finished. Most accommodate early pickups.
Summer and fall are the peak seasons for commercial dumpster rentals. If you need one during these times, be sure to reserve it one to two weeks in advance.
What can go in a commercial dumpster?
Commercial dumpster rental customers have different needs than their residential counterparts. They may have large volumes of non-hazardous construction debris or excessive packaging materials that can’t be recycled.
Those items are generally acceptable for disposal in your roll-off dumpster rental, along with furniture, appliances (non-freon-containing), and landscaping waste.
Prohibited items usually include:
- Biohazards such as medical waste
- Electronics like computer monitors
- Hazardous materials such as batteries, chemicals, and paint
- Liquids such as oil and gas
If in doubt, check with the commercial dumpster rental company for their specific policies. Extra charges may apply if prohibited items are found in your dumpster.
Do you need a permit to rent a dumpster?
Commercial dumpsters placed on private property and out of the right-of-way typically don’t require a permit. However, some cities and municipalities may demand a permit if the dumpster’s placement blocks a public street or sidewalk, even temporarily.
Check with your local permitting office to ask if any regulations apply to a commercial dumpster rental in your area. The dumpster rental company also can advise you on necessary permits.
Work with the commercial dumpster rental pros
Renting a commercial dumpster disposes of large volumes of debris and other waste from your business efficiently and affordably.
Don’t let waste pile up. Now that you know what to consider when choosing a commercial dumpster size, rental company, and schedule, you can book a roll-off dumpster with confidence.
Still have questions? Give us a call at 724-996-6713 and our team will be happy to assist.